Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Beds

Beds are different over here in Central Europe. Unlike in the U.S., a mattress on a box spring just isn’t done over here, which means that beds are lower to the floor. Some mattress can also be a bit on the thin side since many are just pieces of foam.
In the U.S., mattress sizes are twin, full, queen, king and California king. Over here the length is 200 cm (79 inches). The width sizes are 80cm, 90cm, 140cm, 160cm and 180cm. My bed frame is 160cm (63 inches) but in typical Czech fashion it had two single mattresses. I don’t understand the reason for this because it makes it impossible to sleep in the center of the bed or to cuddle up with someone.
Beds here have a duvet instead of a top sheet, blanket and a bed spread. The norm is to have two single duvets on a double bed. At least when there are two duvets no one has to fight over the covers.
The time came for a new double-sized mattress so it was off to IKEA. I went with the firm Sultan Hamnvik mattress for 7.490 Kč (~$450). I have to thank my friend Aleš for helping me arrange for my new mattress to be delivered. Thanks Aleš! The delivery window was from 8 AM to 10 AM. So I was very happy when they showed up at 7:56 AM. Well worth the 419 Kč (~$25) delivery fee.
My Czech still isn’t that great but I could tell that the delivery guys weren’t very happy about having to carry my new mattress up five flights of stairs. Or when they found out my bedroom is upstairs. But the important thing is that I have my new mattress and I can now comfortably sleep in the center of the bed.

1 comment:

  1. What I still don't get is why the mattresses are so thin. (Or maybe it's just the selection at Ikea.) Getting anything substantially plush seems to cost a fortune. I do miss the beds we have back home.

    ReplyDelete