Friday, September 30, 2022

RAF Museum, Ivančice

After checking out Dolní Kounice we headed over to Ivančice for lunch.  I was hearing "RAF" in Czech which didn't make sense to me because in my head RAF is Royal Air Force.  Well I was surprised to find out that I was actually understanding more than I though because RAF was the name of the restaurant.

In addition to being a restaurant, it it also the General Emil Boček RAF Museum.




There are lots of memorabilia about the Czechoslovak pilots who flew for the RAF during the WW2.







If I understood it correctly, one of the general's family members lives in Ivančice and he helped set it up.  


I loved the big table that looks like the wing of a plane.

I had never heard of this place before.  It's not in any guide book but I'm glad that we came here.  It was really interesting and the food was pretty good.  



They even have RAF wine.  I think a return visit is in order to try some.





There's a list of names of the pilots who flew for the RAF during the war.  I knew that there were some Czechoslovak squadrons but I didn't realise just how many pilots there were.

Update March 2023:  General Boček passed away.

No comments:

Post a Comment