Friday, May 2, 2014

Sicily

Sicily is the largest island in the Mediterranean Sea, located between Italy and Tunisia in North AfricaSicilia, and a few small surrounding islands make up an autonomous region of Italy.

Archeological evidence puts people living on the island as early as 8000 BC.  Over the years, it has been home to Phoenicians, Greeks, Romans, Vandals, Ostrogoths, Byzantines, Arabs and Normans.

Sicilian flag
In 1860, it became part of Italy and in 1946 it became an autonomous region.  Sicily has a population of 5 million (like Atlanta).  The island's capital city is Palermo.

The Sicilian language is distinct from Italian.  Sicilian is mostly spoken at home but most people speak both Sicilian and Italian.

I've heard so many great things about Sicily.  For the longest time I've wanted to take a week off and drive around the island.  Well I don't ever seem to have a full week available so I'll just have to do the islands in waves.  Next week I'm off to enjoy a nice long weekend in Trapani.

When most people think of Sicily, the Godfather and the mafia are often what first come to mind.  However, when I hear Sicily, I think about Sophia Petrillo as played by Estelle Getty on the Golden Girls.  Here's a small video I put together about Sophia's Sicily.  Let's see how much really applies.

© NBC

No comments:

Post a Comment