Saturday, August 22, 2009

Movie Theater

Last night I decided to try my luck with the movies. I went to see G.I. Joe at Velký Špalíček, in the city center, near Zelný trh. The theater was showing two versions of the movie - one in English with Czech subtitles and one dubbed in to Czech. Guess which one I saw?

First of all, time is always posted here in military time (24 hour clock), even on the movie schedule. The schedule was pretty cool so let's start there. It gives you the name of the movie, the screen number, the rating, audio and length of the show.

I only saw three different ratings - G, 12 and 15. I guess 12 & 15 = PG-13 and R in the U.S.

The audio column let's you know if the movie is in Czech or Slovak. Also if the movie has been dubbed in to Czech or if it is in English with Czech subtitles.

It doesn't look like they have matinée prices over here. The ticket was 159 Kč (~$8.75).

Your assigned seat is printed on your ticket. This struck me as odd at first but I can see where it has its benefits. If you come in late for a show, you don't have to try to find a seat. Of course, it probably sucks if you don't like your seat. When I bought my ticket, the ticket agent showed me a map and I picked the area I wanted.

The seats were very nice. Unlike in the U.S., the seats do not fold down.

The concession stand had the normal sodas, candy and nachos for sale. There were two different kinds of popcorn. Regular and cheddar-flavored. Everyone had the orange kind so I guess cheddar corn is the most popular. You could also buy draft or bottled beer and cocktails. Nice!

The movie was good...maybe I was just happy to hear English. I really enjoyed watching a movie in peace. No one's mobile phone went off during the show and people kept their conversations quiet. Czechs should teach manners to U.S. audiences.

1 comment:

  1. When I first went to a movie in the C. R. I was shocked that seats were assigned. I thought these poor Czechs need to demand their freedoms! Now that I'm here in Madison, Wisconsin for the summer, I've experienced Robert Redford's new movie theatres, named Sundance Cinemas. They are based on the European model: assigned seats, a bar, a cafe, and great cozy seats. So I think assigned seats will sweep America (maybe it has something to do too with selling tickets through computer kiosks and online ahead of time). I'm just grateful that American movie theatres are getting a little competition! Go Robert Go!

    ReplyDelete