Sunday, August 18, 2019

Handwriting

When I was a kid, we learned how to write in cursive in the fourth grade.
I remember all of the worksheets we had to fill out and we were supposed to write at a 45 degree angle.
Nowadays I don't believe that they even teach cursive in school.


Czech Cursive ABCs
In Czechland and Slovakia, the upper-case S and lower-case T always seems odd to me.  The upper-case S looks more like an L without the bottom flourish.

The lower-case T kind of looks like an S or an A to me, depending on who writes it.

The upper-case Zed looks like an L and I can never quite tell what a lower-case Zed reminds me off.

Sometimes my cleaning lady will leave me a note.  She doesn't speak English and I don't have any problem with a note in Czech.  It's just that sometimes I can't quite figure out which letters she's used.

At least it's not Germany.  Sometimes I feel completely illiterate there and here's why.

Fraktur is a common German blackletter type that came about in the mid-16th century.  It just seems so busy that I struggle to read it.  And by "struggle" I mean that I can't read it at all.


Then there's Sütterlin script that was taught in German schools from 1915 to 1941, although some schools still taught it up until the 1970s.  
Even younger Germans today have a difficult time trying to decipher Sütterlin.  I find it easier to read Russian than some German texts.  I may not know all of the words in Russian but I can at least I understand all of the letters.  Cursive Russian is a different story.
Russian printed and cursive letters
Update 2020:  I gave my old Fitbit to a friend's son and I received a handwritten thank you note.  Notice the "T"s?

No comments:

Post a Comment