Sunday, September 13, 2009

Gambrinus

Czechs love their pivo (beer). It is remarkable to me that really good beer is just over a dollar. Or that it is cheaper to order beer than either water or soda. For example, at lunch today I had a small bottle of multivitamin juice that cost 27 Kč (~$1.54 U.S.). I could have ordered a 1/2 liter of cold Gambrinus on draft for only 30 Kč. I should have ordered a beer but I had things to do today.

Gambrinus is one of the most popular brands and among my favorites. It is produced by the Plzeňský Prazdroj brewery...the same brewery that makes Pilsner Urquell.

I think that you can find out a lot about a culture by taking a look at its TV commercials. Here is one I found that I think aired around 2007. Plus this way, my family will be able to hear what the Czech language sounds like. Enjoy the commercial.

2 comments:

  1. I recommend you to try some independent breweries like Svijany, Pegas, Dalešice etc.

    Pegas has a good restaurant at Jakubská st. Nice place with good athmosphere:)

    or try Korma at Medieval ale-house at Česká. It is beer with mead - order mead and beer apart I heard they cheat and add mead just to flavour the beer:) Maybe you saw ugly guy in medieval clothes with axe standing idly on Česká - it is the entrance:) The pub itself is very nice with lot of candles, sitting on furs etc. At evening there is usually some performance - some guys in medieval clothes start to argue and end figting or live band... my brother says Korma is a good start for the evening if you dont want to drink much:) You have three and end under the table:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live near Pegas and went there for the first time last week. It was a lot of fun so I'll go back there again. There are a lot of beers to try in this country, but that's not a bad thing. =)

    Thanks for the advice on Korma. I would never have thought to try it based on the guy in medieval clothes.

    ReplyDelete