Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Air Raid Sirens

I went out to lunch today, with a coworker, in Královo Pole. All of a sudden the city's air raid sirens went off. I didn't know if the Russians were invading again or what. Apparently, the sirens are tested at noon, on the first Wednesday of every month. This came in to practice after the 2002 central European floods. The ČR had the worst floods in over a century and around 100 towns & villages were completely flooded. Another 350 were partly flooded and 220,000 people were evacuated from their homes while 15 people died. I'm told that the total losses were over 3 billion Euros (~$4.28 billion U.S.). I wonder if they also interrupt TV & radio to test the emergency broadcast network? Hmmm...

4 comments:

  1. Ok, you know I'm going to clown you. If you have been over there for a couple months, wouldn't you have already experienced the first Wednesday of the previous month. Were you hearing or alcohol impared at the time that you didn't remember?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hush fool...this was the first time I was out in the city on a Wednesday at noon. We don't hear the thing inside the buildings at IBM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, they don't interrupt TV and radio broadcasting. It's just the sirens... Well, thank you for the information, I didn't know it's because of the floods from 2002.

    btw: where were you in Královo Pole? I am from there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We went to lunch at Yvy restaurant at Mojmírovo náměstí 13.

    Here's a link to the restaurant if anyone is interested.

    http://www.yvy.cz

    ReplyDelete