Monday, August 2, 2010

Split, Croatia

Split is the 2nd-largest city in Croatia and an awesome place for a vacation. I can see why so many Czechs flock to Croatia each year for their summer holidays, not to mention Australians, Germans, Russians, English, Italians and French. There’s even a Czech consulate right on the waterfront and during the summer there is Czech radio on the airwaves.

One of the great things about Split is that it's a great place to venture out from for day trips. I didn’t make it to Trogir, Bol or Šolta but there’s always next time.







My hostel was only about a 5 minute walk to a marina. I was fortunate enough to take advantage of the secluded “locals” beach instead of having to deal with the crowds at the city’s main beaches. Another bonus was the fresh seafood. I forgot just how much I missed living in a country with an ocean.
My Czech was sufficient that I could understand enough Croatian to get by. When Czech and English failed I was normally able to get by with German. Due to my accent, people asked me if I was Slovenian, Polish, Slovak or German. Kind of funny that no one asked if I was Czech considering I spoke bad Czech.

More pictures from my trip to Croatia are already posted on Flickr.

1 comment: