Nicosia is the largest city on Cyprus with a population over 300,000 people. The U.N. peace line runs through the city dividing it in two. The southern side is called Λευκωσία, in Greek, and it is the capital of the Republic of Cyprus. The northern side is called Lefkoşa, in Turkish, and it is the capital of the Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus.
The area has been continuously inhabited since the Bronze Age in 2500 BC. Nicosia has been the island's main city since the 10th century.
The Panagia Phaneromeni church was built in 1792. It is the largest Orthodox Church inside of the old town. The church was built on the site of a former nunnery.
The Archbishop's Palace is one of the city's biggest attractions. It was completed in 1961, a year after Cyprus gained independence. There's a statue of Archbishop Makarios III who was the first president of Cyprus.
The Omeriye Mosque used to be an Augustinian church and monastery. It was converted in to a mosque in 1571.