Saturday, October 10, 2015

Crete, Greece

Crete is the largest Greek island and is home to over 623,000 people.  It sits about 160 km (99 miles) from mainland Greece.

The island is a bit bigger than Delaware.



Κρήτη is the fifth-largest island in the Mediterranean Sea and it separates the Aegean Sea and the Libyan Sea.  Heraklion is the capital city.

Minoan civilization is the oldest recorded in Europe and Crete was once the centre of it.  In addition to its numerous beaches there are mountains and gorges worth exploring which makes it a popular tourist destination.

The last base I was stationed at when I was in the U.S. Air Force was Iraklion Air Station back in 1992-1993.  This was the first time I ever lived overseas but believe me it's nothing like being an expat.  I can't believe that it's been 22 years since I was last there.   The base closed in 1994 but I plan to go see the old location next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment