Sunday, April 6, 2014

Slivovice Festival

Well this weekend was another first.  This time I went to my first slivovice festival.  It was held in Litenčice, a small village about 45 minutes from Brno.

This was the village's 13th annual festival.  In such a small village, it is a big deal to have the best slivovice.

It cost 100 Kč ($5) to enter and you were given a commemorative shot glass.  Then you went up to the bar and said which one you wanted to try.  You get a small taste, rinse out your glass and try the next one.   
 
Oh, did I mention that there were 149 kinds of moonshine to try.  In addition to the plum, there was also pear, apricot, apple, peach, cherry, plus a few non-traditional flavors.  After a while though they all start to taste the same.  I guess it's a good thing that I only tried 22 of them.

Now here's the part that I don't get.  Distilling your own hooch is illegal but everyone knows someone who does it.  Yet, here's an official festival, attended by the mayor, to celebrate the best moonshine.  Loczech.  

No comments:

Post a Comment