Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Loczech

There are some things that, I swear, only make sense to Czechs.  After almost five years here I've gotten better at just accepting things.  I tell myself that "It's a different country...not right...not wrong...just different".

However, there are still a few things which I've never been able to wrap my head around.  It's not logic; it's what I simply call loczech.

One of the basic things is that Czechs don't like to make change.  And they really don't like large banknotes.  As the customer it's your duty to make sure that you have small bills and as close to the exact amount as possible so that making change is easier.  So then why in the hell does the ATM hand out 2000 Kč ($100) notes?  Heaven forbid if you get a 5000 Kč ($250) note because no shop will want to accept it.  Loczech.

One time, Natalie and I took a guided tour of a chateau.  We had to wear foot covers over our shoes so that we didn't mess up the floors.  However, the guide walked on the same floors that we did and didn't wear the covers.  And they let a dog join the tour as well.  Not a service dog, just someone's family pet.  Loczech.

Every time that I apply for a visa extension I have to provide the office with a photocopy of my current visa.  So I have to give a photocopy of the visa which was issued to me from the very same people who issued it to me in the first place.  Isn't it at least in the computer somewhere?  Loczech.

When you have a baby you first have to provide a boy's name and a girl's name.  So if you know that you are having a boy then why do you have to submit a girl's name?  Loczech.  

These are just a few examples.  These kind of things really used to frustrate me but now I just let them roll like water off a duck's back.  Czechs aren't the only ones.  Slovakia has "slogic" (Slovak logic).

No comments:

Post a Comment