Saturday, May 9, 2009

This Blog

So I've decided to take a new project management position with IBM and relocate from Atlanta to Brno, Czech Republic. I'm joining an organization representing about 70 different nationalities, and about two dozen languages, at the Integrated Delivery Center (IDC). IDC Brno is one of IBM's biggest and most diverse delivery centers providing strategic outsourcing services to more than 600 clients worldwide.

However, I can't actually start this adventure until bureaucracy has run its course. Since the Česká republika (ČR) is a member of the EU there seems to be a lot of hurdles to jump through and all I can do is be patient. I should have my work permit in a few more weeks which, obviously, will allow me to work in the ČR. The kicker is that an American isn't allowed to stay there for more than 90 days in a six month period. So I'm also waiting on my green card which will let me live in the country where I'll be working. Go figure!

The Czech Embassy in Washington has my passport until the authorities in Prague authorize my long-term residency permit. So I'm in limbo. I can't even make flight arrangements because I don't have a date when I can leave the U.S. and enter the ČR. I can't even go there as a tourist to sort things out before I start working because I don't have my passport. Right now it looks like I will be able to leave late July. So until then all I can do is keep sorting things out here. Not to mention trying to pick up as much Czech as I can before I leave. And of course Czech is one of the few languages not offered by Rosetta Stone.

2 comments:

  1. When you get here, I'll buy you a beer. If you drink of course!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Christopher, welcome to the wonderful world of Czech bureaucracy! Other than all this paperwork (and it sounds like you are getting better advice about it all than I did), you will have an absolutely fantastic time in the C.R. It's beautiful and so are the people. I look forward to following your adventures.

    ReplyDelete