Tuesday, December 8, 2009

1st Visit to Prague, Czech Republic

Steven & Michael
Steven & Michael are my best friends from Atlanta and they came over for Thanksgiving which is only fair because I was with their family last year.



We rented an apartment on Václavské náměstí, Wenceslas Square, which was the perfect location to go out and explore the city.


Praha (Prague) is the capital of the Czech Republic and the most beautiful city in the world. I've been around the world and, with out a doubt, nothing compares to Prague.

I'm not sure how, but Prague came out of WWII realatively unscathed but I'm glad it did because the architecture is phenominal...you can see everything from Gothic to Early Modern here. You can't go five feet without coming across something else to marvel at. I know that sooner or later I need to invest in a better digital camera but it would not make any difference here because pictures can't do this city justice. There are lots more pictures already loaded up on Flickr but it will take me a while to add in all of the descriptions. We did most of the touristy stuff like tour the castle and the Charles Bridge, explored Old Town & New Town, went to the Christmas market, saw Wenceslas Square and the Dancing Building, and so on.

Prague is a totally modern city with an awesome public transportation system. But honestly, you really don't even need it because it was so great to just walk around and admire the city. And everyone speaks English! I was surprised by the number of Italian tourists that were there. But I also heard, German, French, Spanish, Russian, Chinese, Swedish and Japanese. At times I had to try to remember I was still in the Czech Republic because I didn't hear a lot of Czech while out running around.

Three full days of sightseeing and we didn't come close to seeing everything we wanted to. I'm glad that I finally made it to Prague and the awesome thing is that it is only a 2,5 hours train ride from Brno so I'll definitely be back soon.

3 comments:

  1. I don't know why but the Italians all seem to come to Prague in December, especially over Christmas break.

    It is so fun to read your enthusiasm for Prague. If Americans were to see that transportation system, they would sure demand the same, wouldn't they? All for $22 a month.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time in Prague I advise you to visit Kampa (nice views over the river, bridge with lots of locks from pairs in love, Lennon Wall), Ditrichstein Gardens (aviary, pond, white peacocks, wonderfully painted ceiling), The Municipal House, Grand Cafe Orient (because of the interior) and Cafe Lucerna (because of an interesting statue of Saint Wenceslas)...

    -sarka-

    ReplyDelete
  3. I' sorry I meant Valdstein Gardens instead of Ditrichstein...

    sarka

    ReplyDelete