Sunday, August 16, 2020

Czech AIDS Aid Society

On Thursday I went to the University Hospital for a free HIV test.  Česká společnost AIDS pomoc (ČSAP), the Czech AIDS Aid Society, is a non-profit organisation that was founded in 1989.  They offer free, anonymous HIV testing at several locations called "checkpoints" across the country. They also provide counselling and accommodation services for people who are HIV-positive.  All of their funding comes from subsidies and donations.  

Checkpoints for testing are in Prague, Brno, České Budějovice, Hradec Králové, Olomouc, Ostrava, Teplice, Ústi nad Orlicí, and Ústi nad Labem.

In Brno, the testing is at Bohunice hospital in the Department of Infectious Diseases.  Every Thursday from 3 to 6 pm.

There is a pre-test questionnaire that you have to take.  I went online and completed the questionnaire before I arrived.  It's not mandatory to complete it ahead of time but I thought it would be faster.  Plus online you can complete it in Czech, English, or Slovak. I was given an 8-digit code which I gave to the nurse.  With this code I have the option of getting my results online or I could come back later to pick them up in person.  

Everything was really easy.  I got there a little early so I was the first person in line and I was done in about 10 minutes.  I was told that the results would be available in 5 to 7 business days.

Well it turned out to be much faster.  I had the test on Thursday afternoon and I randomly checked today and the results were back.

In addition, they also test for syphilis and hepatitis C.

Regular testing is important and most people know their Facebook status but not their HIV status.  

Update:  As of 1 October, the Brno Checkpoint is temporarily closed due to COVID-19.  I assume that the other locations are closed as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment