Thursday, February 16, 2012

Squash

I miss racquetball.  They just don't play it over here in Euroland.  Here it is all about playing squash.

Last night, Tomáš and Annie invited me to join them for a match after work.  While similar, the games are different.  My racquetball racquet is shorter and wider than a squash racket.  A squash racket looks a lot like a badminton racquet.

A racquet ball is about 6 cm in diameter and very bouncy.  A squash ball is only 4 cm and no where near as bouncy as a racquet ball. The squash court is not quite as long as a racquetball court.  I guess because the squash ball doesn't bounce quite as much.

In racquetball the server gets two attempts to serve, just like in tennis, but in squash you only get one chance.  Squash has a red line on the front wall that is about a foot off the ground and you have to hit the front wall above the line.  In racquetball, you can hit the front wall where ever you want.

In racquetball ball we play to 15 points, but you must win by 2 points, and you only get a point when you serve.  In squash, you play to 11 points, must win by 2 points, but you get points no matter who serves.

It was a lot of fun!  Especially after a long day in the office.  I still prefer racquetball but I think that squash may just be the substitute I need.  I guess I need to go buy my own squash racquet now. 

1 comment:

  1. It is really fun to play squash because of its competitiveness and you need to move a lot. You also need to have focus and concentration.

    ReplyDelete