Saturday, March 5, 2022

Czech Consulate Damaged

Czechia has very good relations with Ukraine.  There's a large Ukrainian population here and they make up 30% of all foreigners in Czechland.  There are more Ukrainians here than Slovaks. 

Ukrainian Consulte in Brno

There's even a Ukrainian consulate here in Brno that's about a five minute walk from my flat

An embassy is a permanent diplomatic mission, usually in the capital city and an ambassador is in charge.

A consulate is like a junior embassy, located outside of the capital and the consul-general is in charge.

In Ukraine, the Czech government has their embassy in Kyiv.  It has consulates located in Lviv, Dnipro, Kharkiv, and Uzhhorod.

On 1 March, the Czech consulate in Kharkiv was damaged during heavy rocket shelling by Russian troops.  Due to high pressure caused by rocket attacks the consulate's windows shattered.  Fortunately no one in the consulate was injured.  The Czech government continues to condemn Russia's invasion of Ukraine.

While I'm stuck at home with Covid I keep watching what all is going on in Ukraine.  In 2020, I was supposed to go to Lviv but the trip was cancelled because that's when everything first shut down.  Now I'm watching rockets destroy the city.  I think it will be quite some time before I actually get to visit Lviv.

Я за Україну. Я за Україною. Слава Україні  Stojím za Ukrajinou!  I stand with Ukraine. 🇺🇦

No comments:

Post a Comment