Wednesday, August 17, 2011

No License Yet

Well, no license yet. So I took my paperwork and my passport photo down to the Brno Magistrát (city hall) in order to get my driver's license. I was so looking forward to having my license and putting this ordeal to rest. Yeah...no such luck.

Typical Czech bureaucracy. I went to the office first thing in the morning. I selected the option for a driver's license (řidičských průkazů) from the 'take a number' machine and waited less than five minutes to be called.

The clerk asked for my paperwork, my photo and my passport. I thought that this would be a good chance to try out my new biometric ID card. Nope. She would only accept my passport because she needed to see the stamp showing that I was registered with the foreign police for a minimum of six months. Never mind that my new ID card shows that I am registered. This defeats the purpose of not having to carry around my passport. Fortunately, I had a feeling that something like this would happen so I had brought my passport along, just in case.

I then signed her forms and she told me to come back in two week and not to forget to bring in 50 Kč (~$3). What!?!? Two weeks? Yes, come back in two weeks. The ČR is not like the USA where the DMV takes your picture and you get your license in a few minutes. Here you bring in your own picture and pick up your license at least two weeks later.

I asked if there was any sort of paper that shows I have a driver's license but I am simply waiting on the permanent card to be issued. She looked at me like I had three heads. I don't have a driver's license because I haven't been issued it yet because it hasn't been two weeks yet. Ugh!!! Sometimes I wonder how things ever get done around here. Oh well, I guess the saga will continue for another couple of weeks.

1 comment:

  1. Two weeks? Yes, come back in two weeks. The ČR is not like the USA where the DMV takes your picture and you get your license in a few minutes. Here you bring in your own picture and pick up your license at least two weeks later.
    This is also changing on some US states, in Indiana they now take the picture and mail it to you... This happen to a cousing last year, last time I replaced mine they gave it to me right away but that was six years ago.

    ReplyDelete