Monday, May 10, 2021

Exam Results

I received the results from my exams today.  The results were posted online this morning.  They were serious about having to wait 30 days for the results.

First the good news.  I passed the Czech Citizenship test.  That wasn't a surprise.  It was 30 questions in 30 minutes and I finished it about about 10 minutes.  I didn't receive a score, just that I passed.

Now the bad news.  I failed the B1 Czech language test.  There were four parts to the exam - reading comprehension, listening comprehension, writing, and speaking.  Overall, you have to score 60% in order to pass.  I scored 61%.  So technically I had enough points to pass the exam.

However, you can't score below 60% in any of the four areas.  This is what did me in.

Reading comprehension - I scored 68%.  Better than I thought I did.

Writing - 60%.  On the borderline but cool.

Speaking - I scored 76%.  Not bad at all.

Listening comprehension - I only scored 40%.  This is where I truly bombed the exam.  If I had only gotten 3 more correct answers on the listening section then I would have passed the entire exam.  

Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way.  So now I have to take the entire exam all over again.  Not the citizenship test because I did pass that one.  But I now have to retake the entire language test.  Plus pay another 3.700 Kč ($170) to sit for the exam again.  

Not quite what I was hoping for.  I have friends who passed this exam and can't really speak Czech.  At least my Czech is way better than theirs but I'm the one who didn't pass.  I probably need a couple of days to get over the disappointment and then figure out when I can take the test again.  Hopefully I won't have to wait too long.

Update:  I received my certificate for passing the citizenship test.

Update:  I passed the language exam on my second attempt.

No comments:

Post a Comment